Our premiseRather than building several 'pages' and calling it a website, we specialising in providing real tools you need to succeed in today's competitive online world of highly sophisticated beautiful social websites.
In addition, our first-class websites include practical tools (like SEO) that actually make a website effective.
Why not a regular web design company?Through our unique relationship with ocPortal *1, you'll receive:
- Service from a world-class web development company with an active web presence and public fan base
- Cost-effectiveness, by leveraging ocPortal's features and avoid reinventing the wheel
- A low-maintenance web solution with capacity for low-cost growth
- An integrated web solution with advanced functionality and features
- Software that has passed the tests of time
- Reduced reliance on third-party software/technology: avoid buck-passing
Read more about our company's approach.(we can do non-ocPortal solutions too, if appropriate)
We're not all about technologyIt's vital that you get a beautiful web design that carries your brand and gives your users confidence:
- We won't just use template, you'll have a real designer working for you, someone with experience
- We include logo design, if you want it
- Free use of professional stock photography
We want your users to keep coming back to you, not a competitor. A great and charming user experience helps.
We make our projects partnershipsAs our business partner you will get *2:
- To liaise directly with a project manager in charge of your web design project
- A free email account and domain name (if you take out our low-cost hosting option)
- Inbuilt search engine optimisation and automatic search engine submission
- Inbuilt web analytics
- A website that is compatible with all the major web browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, and Opera)
- Comprehensive support to make your site as successful as it can be (under our support account service)
We also have the skills and resources to provide all kinds of other design/development services as-required, such as user-testing sessions and mobile-app development.
The world-class web development team is waiting to hear from you
The website design process
How do we do it?Take a look inside our usual full-agency website design process *3:
The process begins with you submitting your requirements. There is no “one size fits all”: every web solution we do is written to the needs of that customer. We work to agree on a website development plan with a fixed-price quote, then submit diagrams and screen designs for approval.
After you sign-off, our website development begins. This phase includes regular progress updates plus thorough testing where we critically review our work against a wide range of quality and standards compliance criteria. Then we prepare a live demo for you to evaluate.
When everyone is happy, we deploy the new website, and remain on-call for further support needs with our Experts by the Hour service.
What do we charge?For all full-agency developments, we charge our standard hourly rates which incorporate all our development costs. Currently:
Prices typically start from about £2,500 GBP for a professionally designed website, with £10,000 GBP being a typical amount for a website with a lot of awesome-new functionality.
You will receive your initial quote once we have identified your particular needs.
What to provide usIt is best if you can provide detailed specifications to design for, because it reduces the risk of misunderstanding and things go much more quickly. Examples:
- Website objectives
- Feature lists for development
- Sketches of how screens should look (if you have strong ideas in this area)
- Descriptions of behaviour
If new requirements come up after the initial sign-off, they may have to be incorporated into your web development at a later stage. Such revisions usually involve a change to the quote, as well. This is why we try and work things out ahead of time and carefully match your requirements and budget.
Comparison to other web designers - don't get ripped off!
Insist your web designer provides a mature approachThrough experience we have learnt the need for taking great care in our work. We can create test sets, deployment plans, risk assessments, and (where appropriate) UML diagrams. Ask us how we will manage your shop-front responsibly, and if you are receiving quotes from other companies ensure that your quotes are made against the level of service you need.
Don't be fooled by a slick pitch
- Thanked publicly by Facebook for helping them improve their technology
- One of just a few Content Management Systems distributed by Microsoft
- Thousands of registered users of our technology
- Regular third-party coverage of our innovations
- Third parties package our technology for use on cutting-edge Amazon Cloud services
- We are rated highest by users for ‘Built-in Applications’ on the biggest CMS comparison website
- A high percentage of web hosts supply our technology as a service to their users
(if another company says they have a CMS, can you actually demo it? Usually it is either something they've knocked together, or they simply claim something like Joomla or Wordpress as their own)
Agency or support ticket?
We usually recommend that large developments be done via our agency service (for example, a complete website design), then supported using a topped-up “Experts By The Hour” account. The agency service has many advantages: for example we can meet in person *4.
Project fundingThere are roughly three kinds of web design project funding scenarios:
- New businesses, designed to make money with the website being the/a key foundation
- A necessary investment for a new/existing business (a capital cost to “keep with the times”)
- A non-profit project, such as for a charity or government organisation who need a strong web presence
Ultimately though it is important that you yourself consider your business plan carefully as there is quite a lot of expense and uncertainty starting a web design project on the modern web. If you'd like us to conduct a more thorough and formal review on your behalf please ask us to do so and we'll include that as an initial phase of the project.
Generally a business should see a website development investment like any other: write a proper business plan, then arrange an appropriate source of funding (for example it might be a personal investment, a company expenditure, or from an external business investor).
Working in partnershipAs well as being able to provide a high quality full agency service, we enjoy working on web design projects with other professionals in partnership. For example, we can work with designers as a development provider – making the design and vision real, and implementing extreme technology as required. If you would like to work with us then we would love to hear from you.
The few web development things we cannot doWe don't do Flash websites. We work to W3C standards (the proper standards for consistent reliable accessible web-sites), and Flash isn't one of these. Flash won't work on iPads or iPhones, hurts search result positions, and is considered by some a 'rogue' tool in web-design. Modern websites can still be very flashy without needing Adobe Flash. Where it is needed (usually, for online games) we'll partner up with a specialist.
*1 – sometimes we'll put you in touch with one of our partner companies to provide your solution, in which case your business relationship and the project responsibility would be with this partner company and not ocProducts. These companies are chosen by ocProducts due to their experience of ocPortal, their established working relationship with the developers, and their experience running projects. They will often subcontract the most technical work back to ocProducts. We do this so we can focus on continuing to develop the world-class ocPortal technology, and because ocProducts doesn't always have the free staff capacity to run large projects when other trusted companies do. Also sometimes other experienced companies are better placed geographically to lead a project.
*2 – this is usually the case, but some projects may differ. The negotiated project scope takes precedence over what is discussed on this page.
*3 – our partner companies may have other processes, or the process may be tuned differently according to the needs of your project. The exact process should be confirmed during initial discussions.
*4 – for longer distance travel, we will usually need to charge for travel time and costs
*5 – if taking a quote would take a long time, we may give a price range indication while seeking to confirm you have a realistic budget, after which we'll produce a more accurate quote